Translate

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Number 46...

...no, not another psalm.  An unnamed stream but for that moniker in the old white Wisconsin Trout Maps book.  A feeder to a great creek I've posted some pics of fishing this year...another ghost town.  The first time I saw 46 I crawled up to the bank and looked over...to 100 brook trout.  We took turns catching them after exploring the meadow on our own...but, still catching them two at a time.  Doubles have been my thing ever since.  I love fishing two nymphs...

A large piece of land is public and this stream is on the gps of many an angler...the main stream gets fished hard but number 46 and its meadow still looks the same as it did 30 years ago.  I once guided five guys from Kentucky on a trout and grouse hunt here.  They flushed more grouse in one day than the all of them had flushed in their lives back home.  I think they each went through a box of shells...the highlight was peering over the edge of number 46 and seeing a five pound brown trout.  Trout and grouse...and, turkeys.  This public land received the first batch of turkeys that were from Missouri traded for Wisconsin grouse.  That law of nature that says something restored to its natural environment replenishes with over abundance until balance is reached, was true of the turkeys and the trout of the driftless area.  I only hope it works for the once abundant grouse...

















4 comments:

  1. Bob, if u you can fish for trout all year ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Tom...our season closed the end of September. Opens in early March...we hunt until January, though. Then its only two months. Best...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand. In Poland trout depending on the region start the season in January or February. Last month trout season this August. From September to the end of the year comes the trout post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to them, Tom...hopefully there will be some hunting posts from me until our season opens. There is always Iowa of the driftless area...their season is open all year. And its only an hour drive. Best...

    ReplyDelete