Translate

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Big fish...

...are where you find them.  Today I found them...but, didn't catch any.  Honestly, I don't know how I missed them.  Except that one that broke me off...I just picked up too fast after all the brush offs I got earlier.  It was a beautiful morning in the driftless...low clouds hung on the hillsides and some frost on the pumpkin.  Otis and I tried for a trout in the small pool behind the house but no luck...he's learning to be patient and watches the fly for a rise.  With him dogging me most places I decided to take my gear along for a ride to town just in case.  Stopping at a bridge on the way back found me struggling to get a new leader on among other problems getting ready.  It may have been the two foot long brown feeding in the middle of the stream when I first got there and looked over the bridge to check the water.

It was gone when I finally got in place but still up against the bank...my best casts brought nothing.  I moved up and could see it move in tighter under overhanging grass.  Several other similar fish raced by me as moved up further to rising fish under the bridge...three casts and three misses.  Large fish with their backs out of the water...all I could do was keep moving upstream.  That larger fish that broke me off was the last I saw of the big fish.  They were probably just recently stocked brood fish anyways.  So I settled for these...
















No comments:

Post a Comment